Monday, October 4, 2010

Capstone Proposal

  • What are you trying to better understand?

I am trying to better understand and explore the technique of making jewelry from casting small shapes carved out of wax. Additionally, the exploration of this project will help me to understand the role of art in my life.

  • What questions will you explore?

I will explore the question of how to create something in miniature, from a medium (wax) that is not easy to work with. Time management is another question I will explore. Carving wax is protracted and time consuming, and I am curious to see how I will deal with the amount of labor I will need to put into this project in conjunction with my busy schedule as a senior.

  • What is the projects personal significance to you?

The personal significance of this project is that I think it will teach me a lot about myself. I have always put my academics as more important than my art, and because of this I have never had time to work so many focused hours on an art project. This project will force me to consistently concentrate my energy on an artistic pursuit. It will mean a lot to me, and feel like a huge accomplishment, to finish an art project of this magnitude.

  • What is the history of your interest in the project?

About a year ago, I carved a bumblebee out of wax and had it cast. The process of making it was incredibly fun and rewarding. I have been meaning to try carving something else since then, but haven’t had the time to see the project through. The bumblebee pendant has become my favorite piece of jewelry and I receive many complements for it.

  • How does your project fit into the broader context of the world?

This is one area of my project that I am still shaky about. This project is very much about the process and me and I need to work on ideas to relate it to the rest of the world. One proposition I’m considering is carving a small gryphon or a “we are,” and then having it cast and made into pendants or pins. These could become souvenirs for the graduating seniors, or anyone else who would like one. Tom Evans actually asked me about this when I explained my project to him, so I know that there are people out there who would be interested in a gryphon pin. This would help relate the project to the rest of the world because it would be providing the seniors with a small, precious memento to remember their high school years by. Other ideas I have are donating the profits from a particular design to charity, or teaching a small workshop on wax carving.

  • What are the elements of the final project?

The final project will be a collection of jewelry made from cast wax carvings. A common theme I would like to connect the pieces with is nature. I will carve insects, plants, fruits and vegetables- anything from the natural world. The gryphon would be one exception to this. I think a reasonable goal is to carve six to eight pieces. Each should take about eight to twelve hours, and about three weeks to have cast. Also, I would like to keep a blog of my progress, uploading pictures and comments about the various designs in their stages of creation. This would be another accomplishment, as I (or anyone else I share the web address with) could look back on the phases of the project in an organized and feasibly accessible way.

  • List five resources that you plan to use in completing this project:

1) The place where you send the carved forms to be cast (my mom knows where, I don’t have the exact address.)

2) The internet (for ideas and inspiration, blog about project.)

3) My mom (for her knowledge of jewelry making.)

4) My mom’s jewelry making tools.

5) Wholesale jewelry store for chain etc.

  • List three obstacles you anticipate:

1) TIME

2) ENERGY

3) INSPIRATION

What should your capstone advisor know about you to better help you complete this task?

Sometimes I procrastinate. I work very quickly and spontaneously, so I often make mistakes. Keeping a record (journal) is difficult for me because I would much rather spend my time in the process, not taking notes. I would really like to have a journal of this project though, so I am going to try to stay on top of it.

BLOG: http://facetsofnature.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment